May contain ad links.
Creamy vegan vanilla ice cream
Isn’t it the most wonderful thing to be able to eat a really good homemade vegan creamy ice cream during the summer (winter too of course)?
I’ve been looking for a vegan recipe for vanilla ice cream without coconut or banana for what feels like forever. The reason I don’t want coconut or banana is because I think they take over the taste completely and that you lose the whole wonderful thing about eating vanilla ice cream. I found some recipes that seemed okay but none of them came out så creamy as I wanted, so what do if not creating myown recipe?
I am so very happy with how this ice cream turned out (which was also the first one I made in my new ice cream machine) and look forward to making lots of different combinations of flavors with this base!
Do you need an ice cream machine?
No, it is absolutely possible to make homemade ice cream without an ice cream machine, but it is a bit more work and requires a lot of time from you. You need to stir the ice cream regularly, preferably at least every 10 minutes during the whole time it takes for the ice cream to harden, which can be a couple of hours. So I recommend investing in an ice cream machine if you plan to make your own ice cream.
There are ice cream machines you can buy from about twenty dollars to several hundreds. The cheaper models often have a liquid filled bowl that you freeze in advance, when you’ve made the ice cream batter, remove the bowl from the freezer, put the bowl in your ice cream machine and pour the batter into the bowl. The more expensive models often have a compressor that cools the ice cream directly in the machine without having to freeze anything first. If you don’t know if you’ll continue to make ice cream at home then start with one of the cheaper machines, but if you want to make a lot of ice cream, it is absolutely worth investing in a proper ice cream machine. I’m really super happy with mine from Wilfa!
- 400 ml soy milk
- 3 tbs corn starch
- 3 tbs rapeseed oil
- 5 ml vanilla powder
- 250 ml soy cream
- 150 ml caser sugar if you don’t have caster sugar, just blend regular sugar for a few minutes and you’ll have caster sugar
- Pour the soy milk into into a pot and sift in the corn starch. Stir and cook.
- Let simmer until the liquid has a thicker consistency.
- Remove the pan from the stove and let it cool completely.
- Add oil, vanilla powder, soy cream and sugar and mix well.
- Taste and add more sugar and vanilla powder to taste.
- Pour the batter into the ice cream maker and let the ice cream maker work until the ice cream is too thick for the machine to stir. If you do not have an ice cream machine, see the instructions above.
- Pour the ice cream into another container and place in the freezer until it is completely frozen.
- Serve with sprinkles, sauce or or eat it just as it is!
Keep in mind that home made ice cream often is harder than purchased ice cream, so let it be in room temperature for a while before it’s served.
Have you tried this recipe? Leave a comment and rate the recipe to help others find the right one! I love to see your results on my recipes, so if you post an image on instagram, don’t forget to use the hashtag #wonderveganrecipe and tag me @wondervegan so I can check it out.