The green gold
Pesto is super easy to make and it doesn’t take more than five minutes until your super delicious homemade pesto is ready to eat. It’s hard to believe that something that’s as good as homemade pesto is this easy to make. Fresh herbs are one of the best ingredients I know when it comes to cooking and I use them as much as I can. The herb used absolutely the most in our home is undoubtedly basil, and here is a recipe for a homemade vegan pesto based on basil and it’s so good.
Basil, sage or other herbs
In addition to basil, there are a lot of other herbs that are super good to use in pesto. A combination that is popular but which I actually haven’t tried myself is sage and walnuts. Another combination, one I did a while ago and highly recommended is roasted peppers and cashew nuts, it’s absolutely magical!
With pesto the possibilities are truly endless, both in the ingredients and how to use it. This time I used it for homemade gnocchi and it really was a match made in heaven!
- 100 ml walnuts
- 50 ml pine nuts
- 50 ml nutritional yeast
- 2 pots of basil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 75 ml oil *
- Peel the garlic and add all the ingredients except the oil in a food processor.
- Mix until everything is roughly chopped.
- Add some oil at a time and mix until the pesto has the desired consistency.
- Pour into a jar and store in a refrigerator or serve directly.
* I used half olive oil and half rapeseed oil, but any oil works, the pesto can take quite a lot of flavor from the oil since the oil is a relatively large part of the pesto.